Ann Theresa Caruso was born in Brooklyn, NY on October 21, 1918 to John and Grace (nee Russo) Caruso, immigrants from Italy. The Congregation was only 9 years old when Sr. Agatha entered on March 16, 1938. She professed first vows on September 8, 1939 and made her perpetual profession of vows on August 15, 1943. A true New Yorker and Daughter of Mother Angeline, Sr. Agatha was at St. Patrick’s Home in the Bronx during the early years, which was followed by a few other Missions before she was assigned to the “Old” Walsh Home on 59th Street (1960) and later on York Avenue. Regardless of the site, Sr. Agatha filled many roles, which today would be described as Concierge, Gracious Hostess, Guide, Escort, Sacristan, Pastoral Care Worker, Gift Shop Operator, but most of all a Carmelite Sister for the Aged and Infirm. She served with many Sisters but mainly worked with Mother Angeline, Mother Bernadette, and Mother Aloysius. She attended the Grace Institute to augment her culinary skills, and many of the Sisters benefited from this! Her generosity extended to many a child and, of course, to the Sisters – who didn’t leave the Gift Shop without a Werther’s butterscotch or Hershey bar.
Her spirit of hospitality and service continued as she grew frailer – always a smile, a prayer, and of course, a song. After spending a year at St. Patrick’s Manor (2009-2010) where she received loving care – she returned to Mary Manning, this time as a Resident, and knew she was home when she saw the skyscrapers in Manhattan. Over the past few months she has been getting ready for her new Home, Heaven….still a smile, a prayer, and a song. She was truly at peace and shared that peace with others. Although we will miss her, she is Home with the Lord, rejoicing in her reward!